a slice of life at 20-something as told through babble and poetry...

Friday, August 10, 2007

revelations and things...



Instead of back tracking on my summer in the city through the blurry eyes of muddled memory, I decided to move forward. I really just wanted to write a concert review on Spoon because I wanted to have a play on words, with my blog entitled, "Spoon Me"....I know you're laughing on the inside.

Yeah. I'm over it.

Moving forward is always the best way to go....and I just want to write. If a concert review comes, it comes....I'm taking it all as it comes....and it ain't coming right now. But, I will tell you what is...

What has been on my mind today is the "value of a good thing".

When an idea or concept is good, when anything is good for that matter - why waste it? Good things were meant to be shared. After taking a two-day workshop in learning how to piece together and implement a reading/writing curriculum in the classroom, this concept hit me like never before....like i had never truly understood it or something. Teachers share so much. God, I think of how hard ones before us have worked, written books to guide young teachers to be the best of the best - someone builds new concepts off of their concepts - and it's like generations of collaborative efforts. It's amazingly breathtaking when you think about it....well...of course i'm speaking in an ideal sense. This is if we lived in a world that was a lot like NYC - where most of the teachers truly give a shit about HOW they are making a difference. Of course I am talking about the teachers who take a stand for what they believe in, and believe in their work as an educator - not a drone of the system.

ANYWAY - my point is, good things are to be shared. When someone is doing something that's working and you feel that works for you, adopt that idea. Teachers do it all the time, and it's a compliment.

Unfortunately, I think I still have "copy" disease from junior high - where if you adopted something - like a similar birthday party theme or hair cut you liked, you were a "copier". You copied. This meant you had no individuality (which, at the time, everyone knows -is a lost concept) - no real idenitity. You didn't have enough individual style to fit into the "norm". Wow. Junior High sucked. I am fighting that competitive feeling. I always feel I have to have a "better" idea to make something work for me. This is not always true. Most of the time, it's never true. There isn't a better concept, just a different one. And it's okay to use the same concept, idea or thing that works - because WHO you are as a person will add a dynamic that makes it unique to you.

I don't know how this relates or makes sense in your life...but it's what i was thinking about while walking from 110th and Broadway to the 1 train...

So, I'm adopting an idea right now. If it works and it's a good thing, why not spread a good thing around? How many times have i said "good thing" in this blog?

this is it: My friend on this site has (or did have) theme type days in her blogs. I particularly enjoyed the theme: Currents. I'm completely stealing the title, but giving Darla credit for it, of course ;) I just like "Currents". I like it better than any other title I thought up so far. Maybe I'll come up with one someday, but for right now, I'm embracing it. A compliment for Darla. Thanks, Dar-bar.
(if you have copyright on "Currents" I will immediately change it! - lol)

So...to define "Currents" for me: these are things I have particularly enjoyed and indulged myself in throughout the week or so. Some have developed into all-time favorites and some are just one-hit wonders...

WEEKLY CURRENTS:

~summer meal : cilantro lime chicken and mango salad

~ dessert: fancy chocolates from San Francisco

~color combination: blue and chocolate brown

~ music: STARS (check 'em out!)

~ redecorating/craft idea: making a cork-board or picture frame out of wine bottle corks

~ place to be: my bedroom

~ book: "Reviving Ophelia" by Mary Pipher, Ph.D
(excellent physcology book on the generational change in adolescent girls...fascinatingly poignant and all too real)

~ movie: City of God (brilliant!)

~tv show: Big Love (HBO)

~ drink: water and red red wine

~ mood: thoughtful, anxious and energetic


How was your week?

;)

3 comments:

GMEyster said...

Love it. Good 'currants' - sounds like you have been having a wonderful summer :o)

Darla said...

Hello gorgeous. Currents is not actually my idea, but thank you for taking it on, I love reading currents entries!!! More!!

Alice in Wonderland said...

oh good girl. see? good ideas just pass on and go on and on. i think it's a wonderful thing...

;)