a slice of life at 20-something as told through babble and poetry...

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Confessions of a Social Butterfly

This summer has been surprisingly full of out-and-abouts and all kinds of exciting inbetweens. It's been, by far, the best summer I've had in quite awhile. It may be true, that I am easily satisfied, but to have an amazing summer without leaving this city is quite possible .... proof is in the ....eh....whatever. I dunno.

I will be writing some belated concert reviews soon....some great stuff - take my word!

In July, I attended my first Ani DiFranco concert for one of my dearest friends' birthdays (the infamous Darla). It was lesbian infested goodness. I tried my best to fit in, but I am too awkwardly straight, it seems. Mainly I enjoyed my time with friends. Ani was good too. Of course we all know she is uber talented. Duh. She rocked out.

That same week, on the weekend, I attended an AMAZING festival concert on the Camden waterfront (near Philly) at Wiggins Park. This one deserves a full blogging. Three days of glorious sun, music and vendors that sold pottery! (Okay, I'm a bit of a hippie at heart....just a bit).

Before all this, I saw my first River-to-River free event in NYC! I saw one of my favorite bands, Spoon live in Battery Park. I love me some free music and I love me some Spoon. Though there was rain at a stop-n-go pace, This deserves it's own blog as well....stay tuned. You need some Spoon if you haven't taken a taste yet, my friends.

Just so you know where I've been, here are some places i've gone and want to be- whether it's on the web or in this crazy real world....

xo
~alice


1) http://www.ilike.com (by far, my most frequented website. I'm a junkie. Music, music and more music!)

2) http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/kitchenette

if you ever are out in the middle of tribeca -hehe - go to this little restaurant/bakery. It has perfect portions, a homey feel, and just good food. Unfortunately, not the best cupcakes though. Buttercup Bakery will always win in that department!

3) http://www.flickr.com (i just discovered this site about a month ago. maybe too late...but you can find a pic of anything!)

4) Just completed a four day, month long workshop for children's book writing with the fabulous author, Amy Hest. Read some of her stuff! (Missy - if you are reading this, you may know her work already). It was a great workshop on "Writing Your First Children's Book". Wish it was longer - but the four day intensive was thought provoking and informative at best. She is a very open and giving person - so write her if you want to know more about her work! Check her out. It's the least I could do...
http://www.amyhest.com

3 comments:

Darla said...

Yay! New blog! Did you write anything yourself? I'd love to read it!

Mmmm concerts...mmm....

GMEyster said...

So awesome! Sounds like you have been having an incredible summer with music and adventure.

books said...

if you love children's books you HAVE to come and visit me. we have the most amazing book festival in late august early fall.