a slice of life at 20-something as told through babble and poetry...

Monday, April 30, 2007

Weekend in Review

Because I have a 10-page paper for my Child Development class due in two and half weeks or something...here's the rundown of my weekend, like I sorta promised (though I technically didn't make any promises...I like to keep my word...in a timely manner...). So here goes...

Friday night (4/27) I saw a FREE production (tickets through the affluent private NYC school I work for. SCORE!) of "HOWARD KATZ" by Patrick Marber (for those of you who don't know, he wrote "CLOSER" and a few other well-known pieces of work). It was about the title character, a Jewish man, played by Alfred Molina (f*cking phenomenal actor!) who goes through a mid-life crisis - and hits rock bottom. The problem is, the story even goes so far, that the bottom falls out and he has no where to turn. I know, it sounds depressing, and it is kind of. It takes him that long though to realize what he has and how precious it was. It sounds like an afterschool special or something...but Marber's dialouge is witty and intelligent and the scene changes were captivating. Molina is on stage the entire time and the scenes move around him...it's almost like he's just going through the motions of his life and not in control of it. I loved all the symbolism throughout. All the characters playing Howard's family were doubled as smaller intricate roles throughout the play that displayed this "loose-cannon" demeanor that Howard Katz possessed. Alfred Molina is amazing in this. I feel so lucky to have seen it for free. The ushers are super nice there too. I was sitting in the back of the Orchestra and the usher came up to me right before curtain and said, "Do you want to move up?". I wasn't sure what she was asking me at first until she waved me down the stairs. I was thinking "Hell, yeah!". Is that really a question? Who wouldn't want to move closer? She should have said, "you're moving up. Let's go". Anyway, the show was great. The cheapest tickets are like 60 bucks apparently, but there may be discounts. It's worth it alone for Molina's performance.

(Oooookay. Maybe this entry will be longer than I thought. Though, I am short and sweet ;) I've never been known for it when I write...hehhe)

Saturday I had my usual Child Development Class....so I'm in the psychological mindset. By the way, I'm looking into reading the book "Reviving Ophelia". It's a case study book about the adolescence of young girls. Some people find it patronizing...others find it helpful (I think most find it offensive). Anyway, I read the first chapter (photocopy) in my class and I'm intrigued to read the whole book. If you want to know my opinion, I like it so far. I relate to it. Yeah, it might be a little biased, but I agree A LOT with what the author is talking about, and relate to it on a lot of levels. Check it out if you are curious....

Anyway, Saturday night I went to see CLOUD 9 at the Access Theater. The amazingly talented Jason Schmidt was in this show. He and the entire cast were phenomenal. I think this is a hard core challenge to perform and it was extremely professional on all levels. This was the closing night. I was running a little late (which I NEVER run late for theatre!) and trying to meet my friend Derek (He's GAY people! Stop wondering. Sheesh). On the four flight staircase dash to the theatre (love ya NYC theatre space!) I see a familiar face running behind me. It's my old partner in crime from my acting-tech-theatre days in Cincy Ohio - Ryan. Ryan and I assistant stage managed together, were well-equipped costume experts together and even understudied opposite roles while interning at an Equity theatre in Ohio. Whoo-hoo - good times. Anyway, I find out his current girlfriend was in the show. Oh this small small world we live in...He's an awesome guy - extremely talented actor and fun as hell to hang out with.

Err...sorry. Not much of a review on that one. Here's some more thought though.... I've seen a college production of CLOUD 9 before and this felt like something I had never seen before. I think seeing this show in a small space really helped me keep on track with Churchill's complex dialouge. She's pretty amazing...but hard to keep up with. These actors worked those poofy things on the back of those Victorian dresses off. Yeah! Rock it out.

Sunday was sooooo much fun. I love being a moderator at auditions. But after talking to 24 or something actors and being uber friendly....I was exhausted...but in a good way. I don't really remember the last time I was drained just from doing something that I didn't find painful or stressful in any way. Thanks for everything DAR!

Wish I could write more. Must start work on my paper....it's about socialization among children between the grades 1 throught 3. Any thoughts? ideas? Seriously. You may trigger inspiration. How do you define socialization??

6 comments:

JasonBSchmidt said...

I remember that holding hands was a BIG DEAL.

Umm, thanks for coming to the show and for the kind words!

Alice in Wonderland said...

Holding hands....awww

GMEyster said...

Wow - I had missed this entry before. I, too, loved Jason's show. He blew my socks off ;O)

You are busy busy busy - I am so bummed I wasn't at the auditions with all of you guys - sounds like it was an amazing time.

Holding hands. It's still a big deal to me!

GMEyster said...

p.s. the poofy things on the back of the Victorian dresses are called 'bustles' - woot!

Darla said...

weeeeeeee! how did i miss this entry? maaaan

Alice in Wonderland said...

G: Thanks. I knew I was truly showing my lack of vocabulary words when I couldnt remember "poofy things were Bustles. Thanks giiiiirl. They rocked those bustles! Sounds a lot cooler, right?

Dar-bar: I move fast...gotta catch em